Sunday, May 28, 2006

Broken Glass

In case you are wondering, the title refers to a Talib Kweli track from the album The Beautiful Struggle. I managed to miss the gig because I discovered there was no northern line at leicester square station. Monday saw my friend's birthday dinner in North London. It was fun but I was tired from a long day so I did not stay too long.

Da Vinci Code was exactly as the times review described it. You knew the story which removed any element of surprise. Audrey Tatou gave a solid performance and Tom Hanks improved as the film went on. I love Sir Ian McKellen but I think they should have cast someone else. He is very good at playing good or evil not both in the same character. The film makers also changed a few details from the book and I was not impressed. They did not develop the romance between Neveu and Langdon and suddenly Sophie Neveu has random 'chosen' people looking after her because she is supposedly a descendant of Mary Magdalene. What about the part of the book where Sophie's grandmother gives Prof. Langdon a clue as to the whereabouts of the holy grail? Hollywood what did you do?!

The long awaited X3- The Last Stand opened on Thursday. The SFX were amazing and I loved the hidden extra scene after the credits (you dumbasses who left early missed out) . However I found the direction limp and it was too short! I remember looking at my watch 90 minutes in thinking there was more to come but it ended soon after. I expected more battle scenes and character development. They made a mistake losing the previous director in my opinion.

I helped with the medical exams. My bum was sore from lying down for so long and by the 5th candidate you can recite your lines in your sleep. I kept shouting the answers/instructions in my head, willing them to say/do it. I felt sorry for some of them because of the nerves. Other candidates blew us away with their performance. I thought I want to be you (when you qualify).

I wandered a food market on Saturday with some friends. It was fun and I managed to stop myself eating all the tasty samples. From previous experience it makes you feel greedy and like a pig. I had yummy chocolate brownies, a semi-organic lamb burger with black pepper, mustard and a veggie chutney filling, hot apple and cinamon, cider (a sip) and organic ice cream (mint choc chip & almond/hazelnut).

No comments: