Friday, September 22, 2006

The Big Dip

Malaysia had lovely people, cheap food and great beaches/landscape. Now I am back in London, the realities of final year which were pushed aside during the elective are apparent. The academic job posts are out, three weeks before the deadline (how generous of them). I stared at the form in disbelief. In essence if you don't have a distinction, 1st in your Bsc (if you possess one), publication, and have ever retaken any exam during the MBBS don't apply. The powers that be must be trying to encourage more undergrads to pursue the academic route to replace the exodus to the States and retirees. They probably don't want to compromise the high standards. I am sure I speak for myself and other colleagues when I say we would be lucky to satisfy even some of the criteria for an academic post. There lies the dilemma, submit a rushed rubbish application just in case you can get your 150th choice or don't bother and apply for the non academic posts by December 2006. Answers on a postcard please....

No comments: