Saturday, December 03, 2005

Start of the Christmas Season

The AIDs vigil provided a good opportunity to reflect and remember the millions of adults and families living with HIV and AIDS around the world. I like many, was ignorant of the facts but I have made an effort to educate myself on the issues surrounding HIV including stigma, orphans living in child headed households, anti-retroviral treatment and the eco-political implications. There is so much to be done and the first step is for governments of affected areas to accept HIV causes AIDs, a fact taken for granted in the West.

I attended my flatmate's carol service after the vigil. She sang like an angel and choir wore robed gowns. The cookies, wine and carols made it a very festive evening. Met other friends at pub in central London for the worst comedy night I have ever experienced. It is official, embarrassment is palpable. Thou shalt not go out the night before their end-of-attachment -presentation. Thou shalt not stay up till 2 a.m on the day of their presentation. One is advised to read the presentation thoroughly before giving it so that one does not confuse one's self in the middle.

Friend's birthday at bar in West London, very chilled and relaxed evening. BMJ Careers fair on Saturday afternoon. I breezed in for long enough to raid the Royal College of Physicians, Surgeons, Obstetricians & Gynaecologists, Medecins sans Frontieres and Medecin du Monde stands. I felt a bit out of place, mostly pre-registration (sorry F1 to be politically correct) house officers and SHOs (F2). I noticed how mush medics love freebies- pens, sweets, pads of paper, anything. I wonder why Pfizer had a stand? It's not like they need the publicity. Probably trying to schmooze some consultants.



No comments: