Thursday, December 29, 2005

Christmas & New Year

I thoroughly enjoyed my Christmas. Endless yummy food, family and no stress. The new year brings lots of demands. Elective planning, paeds and psych finals, end of year exams and probably others which I cannot remember.

Tonight I met up with some old school friends and we saw King Kong. Naomi Watts finally joins the Hollywood big girls club and deservedly so (see 21 grams if you need any proof). The CGI and special effects were awesome, particularly of note is King Kong himself. The scene where the skull islanders sacrifice Naomi Watts' character to King Kong is reminiscent of the Lava scene with Obi and Luke in Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith whilst the dinosaur fight scenes brought memories of Jurassic Park. I found Jack Black's character very irritating, especially his cliched facial expressions during moments of tension. Adrian Brody was alright but his character didn't have many lines, not surprising for an action flick. We caught the late showing and the three hour length began to take its toll. I thought the ice skating scene on the lake would mark the end but another 20 minutes of action ensued. The heroine Anna was a tad gutsy, a refreshing change from the plastic side kicks we have come to expect in so many action films.

I am literarily having palpitations at the thought of seeing Memoirs of a Geisha. It will be awesome. Munich also looks good. Spielberg is back, maybe we can forgive him for War of the Worlds.

Cough and sore throat. That's what you get being cooped up with relatives for the holidays. The incessant wind and rain don't help matters either. I was awoken from a Lemsip-induced haze by the door bell. Our neighbours from the flat next door invited us to their New Year's eve party. It would be a good chance to actually meet them however it is highly likely I will keep to the yearly tradition of spending the occasion with my family. Happy new year!



and then I climb into bed before 1 a.m . I am interested in all your christmas and new year tales, post a comment.

No comments: