Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Welcome to Surgery

Today we started surgery and jumped form the frying pan into the fire. We had heard rumours about the head of surgery rinsing medical students so when we met a calm man with glasses we thought it was all hype. He was the registrar. The Prof. welcomed us and said I would only get a sniff of medicine in a week. We are part of a group of about 20 final year students. He picked apart every statement emitted from our naive inexperienced mouths in an effort to make us learn. Then there were the surgical gems he insisted we write in our notebooks. I do not know my surgical signs. I had to stop myself from giggling because this is all I've ever known especially of surgical teaching and everyone was frightened of him. His bark is worse than his bite. Anaesthetic teaching on nutrition and feeding in surgical patients. We return after lunch for teaching on DVTs.

2 comments:

Moc said...

Hi

The hospital is in Galle, right? Are there many explosions there? I thought most of the fighting was confined to northern Sri Lanka. What's the atmosphere like over there?

jadefox said...

There have been three explosions since we arrived, all in Colombo. The one yesterday was attached to a market stall in Borrella juntion which is very close to Lady Ridgeway Hospital where I am. The other two were in Colombo 4 and outside a shopping mall called Crescat.

The General hospital is on Ward place, just a bit further down from the Town hall.