Thursday, January 25, 2007

Grilling


Sunday lunch with old school friends. It was fun to catch up and get away from medicine.

What are the indications for coronary angiography? Silence, then a response. Round the table he went, grilling each candidate. Exam situation? Just another day on the wards with the head of department. It was painful to watch and yet strangely familiar. Throughout my training I have watched colleagues and been subject to grilling, roasting or rinsing. A senior proceeds to expose huge gaps in your knowledge, embarrass you in front of as many people as possible and generally push you to the limit. I have and will never cry because then they will have won. Welcome to medicine. It is good to get a kick up the bum from time to time but I question some of the techniques of past 'examiners'.

Others should never influence your career decision but several Consultants have suggested we consider other career options. Nothing like a morale boost less than six months before finals.

The Ludacris album is ridiculously good. Tracks I am not so fond of are Money maker, Girls Gone Wild, Slap and Do Your Time. Not bad for a 13-track LP. Check out DJ Swerve's playlist for this week. New arists for your auditory pleasure:
Natalie Williams- Anglo, Hungarian-Yugoslav jazz performer
Elisabeth Withers Star of theatre version of The Colour Purple

In attempt to break my -in-bed-at -9:30 cycle, some friends and I went to dinner at Japanese restaurant, Asakusa in north London. Pork teriyaki set meal, salmon and avocado rolls and salad thingy. I am not a huge fan of Japanese but this was very good. Unfortunately it wasn't good enough to convince me to eat aubergines. Quinn's bar afterwards and we oldies were on our way home.

No comments: