Monday, July 24, 2006

Elective


Thursday 20/Friday 21 July 06

I left my family at Heathrow Airport and after a flight of 10 hrs and 45 minutes, I arrived in Colombo. The stewards on Sri Lankan airways are hardly leaders in customer services. I had to repeat my request for water to about 5 different stewards and another noisy passenger was put in a seat next to us with no warning. Sri Lankans are so friendly; the lady next to me on the plane promptly introduced herself. The food was nice (oriental lamb curry, prawn noodle salad and strawberry cheesecake for dinner). Breakfast was bacon and eggs. I got hardly any sleep because the seats were so uncomfortable. We landed at 13.33 (08:33 GMT) and I breezed through customs and baggage control. Luckily for me my contact in Colombo had a driver pick me up fromt eh airport. I was ready for any touts who tried to rip me off. I ain’t Sri Lankan but I ain’t no damn tourist either! There is a heavy military presence at the airport due to the ethnic conflicts. The humidity is the first thing to hit you as soon as you step outside. There is no breeze. Thank goodness for the air conditioning in the mini van. My SL initiation was to drink thambili (an orange coconut drink) at one of the stalls on the way to central Colombo. The giant billboards at the roadside, advertise everything form mobile phone companies to cosmetics. Palm trees line the streets, interspersed with metal shacks selling tourist goods and food. The tuk tuk 3 wheelers weave through the bustling traffic. The main aim on the road is to protect yourself and two near misses confirmed this. The infrastructure becomes more modern as we approach Colombo. We drive past Colombo’s medical school, steeped in over 100 years of history, the National Hospital, Carey College and the Eye Hospital with its red and yellow brick Islamic architecture. As we waited in traffic, I watched the medical students leaving the medical school, smartly dressed all in single sex groups. I felt the urge to jump out and introduce myself but I knew there is plenty of time. My accommodation is in Colombo 03. The flat has breathtaking views over the city. My room is clean and most importantly has a fan. The centerpiece of the flat is a balcony overlooking the city. My host is a local family who speak perfect English (like a fair proportion of Colombans). After sleeping off my jetlag, I was treated to chicken curry for dinner. We watched dvds after dinner and as I retire to bed I have one last look over the balcony and I know I am going to like this place.

Saturday 22 July 06
We went on a drive around Colombo. The British Colonial architecture is amazing exemplified by the National Museum and old parliament building with their imposing pillars. The seafront with the high waves and hordes of people kite flying and playing in the sand. There is talk of visiting Kandy for the Perahera celebrations running from August 1-8 in the month of Esala and ending on the full moon.

I visited a shop selling SL- made souvenirs, furniture and art. On the streets, taxi and tuk tuk drivers try to get my attention. As an obvious tourist I signal business and cash.

Tonight we had a traditional SL dinner at a place called the green cabin. Hoppers (like pancakes), rotti, cattle fish and chicken were some of the delicacies.

No comments: