Friday, July 28, 2006

Galle

Thursday 27 July
I have yet to upload the many pics I have taken and I apologise but most of the computers we have access to do not have drivers for my digi cam and we don't have administrator privileges to install the software.

Today consisted of the usual tuk tuk ride to the hospital, ward round and endocrine clinic. Cases today were aortic pulmonary window, tonic clonic seizures, hiccups, diabetic gastroparesis, dysphagia, shingles, bronchiectasis and polycythaemia with splenomegaly. During the lunch break, we went on an expedition to Borella, determined to find a guest house which could be closer to the hospital. In summary, it was a long hot journey with the usual fanfare of shouts and stares and the place was not as close to the hospital. On the way back, we met a nice SL lady who gave us a lift back to the hospital in her air conditioned vehicle. Thank you lady!In endo clinic we saw frilarial infection, short stature, Grave's disease, thyrotoxicosis, polycystic ovaries, microadenoma and metabolic syndrome. I saw acanthosis nigricans for the first time which was interesting. The consultant was friendly and keen to teach. We braved the bus home. It's far from a London bus. I can only describe it as an american school bus in white, with very few seats and two doors at the front and rear of the bus. You pay the conductor when you get on and we refused to be ripped off. It was jerky and quick ride home.

In the evening we wandered Galle Road, a busy road with shops and restaurants. The prices are so cheap. A cheeseburger is 60 rupees, roughly 30p and a mcdonalds meal is 260 rupees which is just over 1GBP.I got a chocolate sundae from McD's on the way home and I won't even describe the Pizza hut's prices! I have been looking for a gold or silver ring so we were wined and dined in an upmarket jewellery shop by suave sales people. I decided to sleep on it and come back if necessary and we left by the security exit at the back of the store. I felt like a movie star for about 10 seconds. The walk back jolted me back to reality.

No comments: