Monday, July 31, 2006

Mount Lavinia



Sunday 30 July

We drove up to Mount Lavinia in a van. The resort is about a 30 minute drive from Colombo. The marbled waterfront Mount Lavinia Hotel is the former residence of the British Governor. The views are spectacular (see photos). A mixture of tourists and natives wandered the beach or browsed the boutiques and souvenir shops. We watched the sunset on the beach, wandered the hotel terrace with its pool and had dinner at a place called Seafood Cove on the beach. We could pick our own ingredients and style of cooking. It was so beautiful eating in the moonlight with the stars above us. I had crab chilli and the portions were large so dessert wasn’t even an option. For a party of 10, the bill was under 30 GBP. You cannot get any cheaper than that for the quality of food.

Mount Lavinia is my favourite place of the trip so far. The views are breathtaking and I would recommend it to anyone visiting South East Asia or SL. My sleep cycle has been varied this trip. Last night and during the weekend I got very little sleep compared to the weekdays where the 11 year old nick named me sleeping beauty because of my hypersomnia. She asked if I needed permission from my ‘mommy’ to go out. I sneakily replied yes. The naivety of youth…..

No comments: