Thursday, October 27, 2005

Gowns, hats and long speeches

Today was my BSc graduation. I sit here 6 hours after with the biggest headache ever, an empty stomach, the desire to crawl into bed in 15 minutes and no adrenaline left in my body. This morning started with a neurology tutorial where the lecturer could not access his slides on the computer, lots of faffing around but good teaching eventually. I ran around the town centre afterwards in a last ditch attempt to find smart black shoes, no luck but came home with a sparkly top (don't ask) and decided to wear an old favourite pair of shoes.

Met up with some friends who'd graduated in the morning ceremony. The queue for photographs was ridiculous so I decided to fill out my forms etc then to save time after the ceremony. To cut a long story short. The hall was magnificent and grand, long speech by the rector whom I love dearly ( he knows how much money all the drug companies give us offhead you know) , applause for prize winners, nods for everyone else. Envy of the doctors qualifying and incentive to be in that position in 2 years. Nice to see some of my friends get well deserved prizes. Short speech by vice chairman of something at the end was succint and poignant. 2.5 hours of glorious bliss. Facial spasm from smiling for so many photos, nice champagne reception with yukky canapes and yummy desserts. Ridiculous costs for gown hire, tickets, photos etc but nice euphoric feeling that you've achieved something and can share it with the ones you love. I think I need a moment.............................Sniff sniff.......

Anyway back to reality, I've got a tutorial early tomorrow morning, long day then Kano in evening. Congratulations to all the graduands and best of luck in the future.

No comments: