Saturday, November 12, 2005

Impending visit

I went to a lecture by Professor Emeritus Sir Gustav Nossal from the University of Melbourne, titled 'Global Health Advances in a Troubled World: 2005 A Turning Point?' It was interesting. He focused on the global vaccination programme made possible by funding from Bill Gates' foundation. Vaccinations readily accessible in the West are not available to children in the developing world. International Health is a rapidly advancing research area with lots of funding coming in. Prof. Nossal admitted that there is still much to be done but many advances have been made.

Friday night was the most fun I've had in ages. Met up with some friends I haven't seen for a bit. There was alcohol and music and the details shall remain with us till the grave. On saturday I got lost in Battersea/Clapham (they don't call it Clapham Junction for nothing). The bus to west London comes every hour apparently. Club/society meeting on Tuesday night. I'm helping with their publicity and it will involve using my creative talents (whatever they are) to produce work of a high standard in a short period of time. Also met my fresher child for the first time after a pregnancy I don't recall very well. It was an emotional meeting and reiterated the fact that I'm officially old. I tried to remember first year and the memories have merged into an indecipherable mass of thoughts. I probably depressed him with my musings on the years to come. I apologise in advance and will pick up the psychotherapy bills.

The rest of the week was the usual cycle of waking up, going into the hospital, eating and sleeping. Today marks the end of my neurology firm. The field really interests me and I am not ruling it out as a future option career-wise. Met up with my friend who just returned from his elective in New Zealand. He had a brilliant time and now I'm really looking forward to it.

My next task in between HIV/Genitourinary medicine, is to get all my elective paper work sorted out. For three months next summer, I will hopefully if they accept me, be gaining medical experience at a few establishments in North America. Need to sort out the health vaccination paperwork and book in for a Chest Xray as I'm told this carries more weight than a BCG scar as proof of the absence of current tuberculosis infection.

My cousin is coming to visit. She's 17 and starts university next year. I am tired from almost four months of the' first term'. Ideally I would like to sleep for a month but onwards and upwards. I'm trying to remember17............ obsessing over boys, clothes, gossip. partying and boys. Think the O.C without Daddy's credit card.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is a shame I missed the period when you used obessed about boys...