Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Zoonoses

Friday night was fun, ended up in a bar in Marylebone with some friends then soho later on. I had very little sleep because I got up early on Saturday to help at the conference. The AIDs conference was very good. I particularly enjoyed the lectures covering the treatment of HIV in adults and children.

What is it with people on mobile phones on the bus? Grrrrrrrr. We considerate passengers have to endure people shouting at the top of their voices about their lives/chatting to someone on speaker phone/ playing the latest 'tuunes' on speaker phone. I'm glad you all have mobile phones but I just want to travel in peace and quiet.


My trawl through pathology continues, currently microbiology, my favourite subject area. I think it's the fact that it is badly taught in the early years of med school. Zoonoses??? Had a tour of the microbiology lab at the hospital today. The consultant microbiologist was very funny and it was an eye opener seeing where the millions of path specimens end up. I saw herpes simplex infected cells under the microscope, gram stains, how they process blood cultures etc. I suppose I see the point of learning about the microbes. Did I mention the infectious diseases presentation I have to give on Friday?

Lots of elections for various medical associations and I fear many people are thinking of Foundation year 1 (F1) job applications next year or am I being cynical? Yes I am with good reason. BTW I need to hand in my elective application forms, get the ball rolling and all that. Most people in my year finish exams this week so there should be more going on. I saw my fresher son today and he actually thinks first year is hard work. I resisted the urge to remind him that it gets worse.


My flatmate is singing at her university Christmas carol service on Thursday and yours truly has been invited. Friend's birthday soiree on Friday. BMJ careers fair and university cultural show on Saturday. Should keep me sane..... just about.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't understand why people feel the need to share your favourite radio station on trains. It knocks me off!

Good luck with the exams and presentation

Moc said...

Yep, I'm getting loads of emails from candidates about BMA elections and voting for them too. None of this in the earlier years.

Where are you thinking of going for your elective?

All the best.