Thursday, November 17, 2005

Yo sushi


I went round to a friend's flat last night and we made sushi. It was so much fun, like cooking with your mum when you're little. Today I saw Constant Gardener starring Ralph Fiennes and Rachel Weisz. It was very good. Especially the moving camera angles. Debate on euthanasia in the evening (I'm on a roll with the talks). Extremey interesting issues raised. My main criticism is that the people who drafted the send bill on 'assisted dying' do not seem to have thought through the practicalities. The criteria patients have to fulfill (terminal illness, unbearable suffering, competence and the request must be made voluntarily by the patient), is subjective. I can understand the arguments for both sides but I think if the bill is introduced, we will be venturing down a slippery slope. Not everyone has good intentions as that GP bloke who killed his patients (Shipman) exemplified. Of course patients should be treated with dignity and reserve autonomy however providing assisted suicide as a potential therapeutic option makes me uncomfortable.

Off to bed soon, day of clinics tomorrow.


Photo from http://ro.altermedia.info/images/euthanasia.jpg

No comments: